Pages

Monday 5 July 2021

Concept of Heat

Hello, for chemistry, our class has been learning about the effects of heat, there are four new words that we have learned about, they are conduction, convection, contraction, and expansion, here are their meanings.

Conduction is when the heat travels through the solid causing it to vibrate.

Convection is the same but it travels through a gas or liquid.

Contraction is when the solid becomes smaller, this happens when you cool it.

Expansion is the opposite, including the part when you cool it.


Examples: 

When you heat up a cube the cube becomes larger this is an expansion.

When the heat goes through the cube this will make it vibrate, this is called conduction.

When you cool the cube it will become smaller than it originally was, this is called contraction.

When you heat up a liquid, that will be called convection.

We have also done some experiments that explained these they used these: Contraction (imploding can), Expansion (ball and hoop), Conduction (dropping pins), Convection in liquid (permanganate crystal in water), Convection in gas (tea bag rockets)



Detailed Explanation



Conduction

Expansion and Contraction


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post